God If You Can't Make Me Skinny Then Please Make My Friends Fat (Part 1)

Yep, that dumb caption above was my facebook profile picture for a long time while I sat on my butt wishing the weight would disappear miraculously. Yes God works in miraculous ways but he sure doesn't answer dumb prayers. 

However he did the mysterious one day when I was at a party with my big self. I bumped into this lovely lady (shown). She was merely an acquaintance at the time but had seen me when I was slim and "athletic". 

I said a quick hello and tried to hurry pass because I didn't like people who knew me before I got over weight to notice that I was now fat (not that it was hard to hide my 100kg plus weight at the time). But she gave me a kind smile and said "Julien you look lovely but you have got to lose some weight". I smiled and mumbled something like "I'm working on it". But deep down I was angry! How dare she tell me I am over weight! She is even bigger than me! What does the bible say about removing the log from your eyes so you can see the spike in.......balahlahlah!

But next day I heard her voice again in my head but this time I heard it as it was meant to be received..............with love. Because it takes a great deal of love or selflessness to have your own struggles but try to ensure that others don't go through the same struggles. This lady didn't think " Ha! Jules is now big like me" or " Thank God, since I can't get skinny at least more people I know are now getting fat" 

That comment, " Julien, you look lovely but you must lose some weight" was all I needed to get up, lace up and go for my 1st run.

Today I want to celebrate a cool friend. I want to say thank you for being honest with me. Now look at you; all trim and hot too. Thank you

I hope this post encourages someone who is  struggling with their weight. I hope this post encourages someone to be honest in a kind way to a friend who is struggling. 

This is part 1 of a 3 part Story on friends who have held my hands through my weight lose journey.

Subscribe to my blog for more.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you were able to see the positive in her message. I love that she was able to risk ridicule and reach out to a friend. I love where you both are at today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading through. Yes, it could have easily gone either way. That's why we shouldn't always think every uncomplimentary comment is "hating" It could be all we need to embark on a life changing journey.

      Delete

.